1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to tell if egg is fertilized?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EricH, Sep 12, 2010.

1. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    Hey everybody, we bought some wilcox farms free range eggs the other day. all the ones ive used have had the little red spot on the yolks. does that mean its a fertilized egg? or no?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

No. Red spots are spots of blood from the hen during the egg-building process before they're laid, but are not harmful nor signs of injury. Nor is there any reason NOT to eat the eggs - just remove the red spot if it bothers you.

Fertilized eggs have a small "bulls-eye" instead of the white spot on the yolk. Think of the Target logo - a small white circle with a dot in the center, or an itty-bitty doughnut of white on the surface of the yolk.

There is no difference in taste or nutrition between an un-fertilized and a fertilized egg.

3. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    yeah, i know theres nothing wrong with them... i was just gonna pop one in the 'bator with the rest of the eggs... i doubt they are but maybe i will anyways.. what the hey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by