How to tell if eggs are fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rsarns, Nov 2, 2011.

1. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    I culled my oldest rooster, he was starting to be very aggressive towards my kids and we tried everything to break him of it. I had another cockerel in the coop/run with him and the girls. He is now 6-7 months old, and in the 4 weeks since the other roo went to freezer camp, he has just began to crow. My question is, I have yet to see him mount any of the hens, however I don't spend all day out there (just 60% LOL). Is there a way to see if eggs are fertile when you crack them? I have him in with all the hens, but would like to use him to breed with a couple of my hens... What should I look for?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I have the same question. Will see what others have to say [​IMG]

3. egg-cellent

egg-cellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes there is. When you crack the egg open and put it in a bowl, if you look at the yolk, a fertile egg will have a small bulls eye looking spot on it. It will be about the size of a small pea... If it isn't fertile, it will not have any spots on it..

Best of luck!
    Marsha

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  4. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    I checked 3 from today... no bullseye. Wonder how long before this cockerel steps up to the plate?

5. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
  6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I was just going to say search for the thread from SpeckledHen, that is a great thread, and you already found it. That was the easiest way for me to tell, by looking. Our cockerals have been gone for 1 1/2 weeks, and we STILL have bullseye eggs (not all just some). I am surprised, it makes no difference, just an observation.

7. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    An infertile egg will have a small white spot on the yolk, but a fertile one will have a little ring around it like a bullseye.

8. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I wonder if there is a way to tell if it is fertile without cracking it open?

9. egg-cellent

egg-cellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Not to my knowledge, you can't tell without opening it.

10. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    Well my young cockerel made my day today. I saw him mounting a few of the hens... he is in with my layer flock for now as the pullets I was hoping to breed him with are not of the quality I wanted. I might just try to hatch a few of the eggs from them for more layer flock anyway. Wonder what a Wheaten Marans over my cuckoo Marans will look like, or my BSL's? My other choices don't even sound good... leghorns, buff Orps, BR's, RIR's and Speckled Sussex's... Since he came out of such a nice dark egg, he should increase egg color of whatever hatches.. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by