1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tell if hen has sour crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmlew99, Aug 17, 2014.

1. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I have a 16 week old Buff Brahma pullet l. This morning I picked her up and gently felt her crop area. It was pretty flat, but squishy. I'm wondering if she has sour crop? She eats grower/ finisher crumbles, has acess to a grassy run all day, and has constant access to grit and water. She is acting normally, eating, drinking, clucking, pooping. Her poop is normal as well. Should I be concerned? I haven't smelt any foul odors so far. What should I do?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Is the crop obvious when you look at her from a distance (does she look lopsided)? If not, and since you don't smell any sourness, I think she's probably fine. A true sour crop usually is quite large, squishy, and accompanied by a sour smell. Some chickens do have bigger crops than others, and the crop can vary in texture throughout the day depending on what the bird eats.

3. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Thank you! No the crop wasn't big at all, not like usual. That's a relief! I'll watch her just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by