1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tell if infection is setting in?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilyLovesBugs, Jan 2, 2013.

1. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    I am taking care of my friend's BR hen that was bitten by a dog. The dog bit her hip, the bite itself isn't bad just really bruised. There are just a couple small puntctures from the dog that I have been putting iodine in, they aren't red or pussy, but it does feel warm. At the very top of her leg in the stretch of skin that meets her leg there is another puncture there that is the same as the other ones. She has been not using that leg this whole time. She has been eating and drinking somewhat. On her leg (about where a human's ankle would be) the scales are now blackish brown. She keeps it against her with her foot curled. She will stand up and hop around on her other leg but not often. Do you think that she just isn't using the leg because her hip is so bruised, or because it is infected? Or is it something worse like a possible dislocated hip?

Thank you!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

If infection sets in - it will smell.

Chickens are amazing with wounds. I've had some terrible, terrible wounds - and none ever got infected.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I look at it this way. Each day, if the chicken looks sicker, or the wound looks worse, it's probably infected.

4. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Ok thank you both of you! She seems better since I got her, exept for her leg which is still the same. She is such a sweetheart. When I first got her everytime I would reach my hand in she would peck me as hard as she could. Now she looks forward to me coming and loves to be pet and talked to. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by