How to tell if my baby brahma is laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dixiechik44, Oct 1, 2012.

1. dixiechik44

dixiechik44 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    Hi! I'm new to BYC!!![​IMG] and I was wanting to know if anybody had any good strategies on how to tell if your hen is laying. I have 6 chickens. You'd think it would be easy to find out, but it's not!!! [​IMG] She is always broody ALWAYS!!!!!
    I want to breed her because she is a champion [​IMG] (best large, best in show, best in breed) and I don't want to rent a rooster if I don't have to!!! (i can only have hens!) Anyway...
    If you live in Canada, and you have a light brahma rooster, please tell me!!!

Thanks!

2. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    To get chicks you must have a rooster. You can check her vent and if it is round and small she is not laying. If it is oval and moist it indicates she is laying eggs.

Jim

3. chickenlover89

chickenlover89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    X2 like he said, hens lay eggs by themselves, but you need a rooster to FERTILIZE the eggs. what he said about the vent is true, also if she has full size combs and wattles and they are red, then she is either laying, or will start to lay soon, this is called Point Of Lay (often referred to as POL).

4. dixiechik44

dixiechik44 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    Ya, I'm going to rent (this sounds weird) a rooster so that she can have chicks [​IMG]
    But the vent thing is really helpful, turns out she is laying!
    Thanks!

5. chickenlover89

chickenlover89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    cool, good luck breeding her! But make sure you get a nice rooster also, so you have very nice chicks, just like they're mom and dad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by