How to tell if my chickens have impacted crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Soap Junkie, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Soap Junkie

Soap Junkie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    Oxford Mi
    I am new to this with my chicks only 7 weeks old. They have been doing really well and growing great! But I notice that they all seem to have a lump down low on the next and near to the breast. Is this just the crop? I have 10 birds so I really cant tell them apart yet. It seems they all have it but some really big (size of nearly a golf ball) and some are smaller. I always pet them on the front and sometimes you can even see it, seems like them are lopsided on the front. They are all eating great, pooping like crazy and none of them are lazy or anything like that. I am thinking this is just when they eat and the crop fills up and thats what I am seeing?

They have gravel available at all times, and I have been adding extra into there food when I feed them, just a FYI.

Thanks!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like all is normal with your babies. After they eat, the crop will stay full for a few hours till it empties into the stomach. After a long night, the crops should be empty. If they were to get impacted, or soured, you would smell a bad odor coming from the beak and the pooing would stop. A critical stage. However yours seem to be doing fine and I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure they have plenty of water, good food, plenty of exercise and sunshine and of course love.

Good luck with your babies! [​IMG]

3. Soap Junkie

Soap Junkie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    Oxford Mi
    Thank you so much, I was getting worried for a minute! They are pigs actually! They eat all the time so I dont know if I will ever have a time that the crop wont be large! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by