1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tell if she is broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theron, Dec 19, 2009.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    How can you tell if a chicken is broody? I know that they will set on the nest most of the time. Can you also tell by the size of the poop? Any help is appreciated.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are several indications she might be broody. If she fluffs up and clucks threateningly at you when you approach the nest, if she leaves especially large poos when she does her constitutional, the trance that she seems to be in when on the nest. But the best way for me to tell is if she stays on the nest day and night, she is broody. If you toss her off the nest when the others are going to roost and she returns to the nest instead of the roost, she is broody. All the others are indications she might be broody. Spending two consecutive nights on the nest convinces me she is serious.

3. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    The size of the poop is larger than normal. Really Really stinky

4. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    that is what type of poop it is, but when I check on the chickens i never see her on the nest

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:Then she is not broody. A broody will stay on the nest anywhere from 23 hours to 23 hours and 45 minutes a day.

6. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    when my bo went broody for the first time--I couldn't believe how fluffy she was even when she walked around--she was just all poofed up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by