How to tell if the egg is still alive

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adorable, Dec 4, 2009.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    How would i know if the egg is still alive.?I cant see inside any more. I heard something about a water test. What is that.also everyone talks about the heart beat. I can never find that.

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Water test is only for the very last stage of hatching. Put the egg in a glass of water. If the chick is alive and at all viable, it should feel like it is drowning and struggle. The egg will move.

3. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ahh really i cant do that.I think i will pass

4. hrdwrkgrl

hrdwrkgrl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    hehehehe... I would pass on that too.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If it not time to hatch I just wait. If its past time I open up the air-cell end an see if its alive. If it moves I wet it a little an it goes back in the bator, if not I stop there an throw it out.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Quote:i've never heard of that. Sounds a bit harsh. Does the chick stand a chance of drowning from the water test?

From my personal experience, i only see the heart beat when the chick is first forming, maybe the first half of incubation. After it fills the egg more, i can't see the heartbeat and i don't see the chick move. i just keep all the eggs that may be viable in the incubator (or under a broody) until a day or two past hatch day. Then i might pick up unhatched eggs, tap on the large end with my fingernail and chirp. If you hear chirping back, someone is in there. If not, generally they are not viable.

7. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ok..Thanks...

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Enchanted,

I've never done it myself. I've only heard of it as a last ditch effort where the person was almost sure there was no hope, but just checking before they tossed it _just_in_case_.

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Interesting. i think my last ditch effort would be to open the egg. Although, sometimes i just don't have the stomach for that.

10. KTeacher

KTeacher New Egg

May 20, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    How do you know which side is the air sack?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by