How to tell if the egg is still alive

adorable

Songster
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
near ottawa ontario
How would i know if the egg is still alive.?I cant see inside any more. I heard something about a water test. What is that.also everyone talks about the heart beat. I can never find that.

Water test is only for the very last stage of hatching. Put the egg in a glass of water. If the chick is alive and at all viable, it should feel like it is drowning and struggle. The egg will move.

Quote:
i've never heard of that. Sounds a bit harsh. Does the chick stand a chance of drowning from the water test?

From my personal experience, i only see the heart beat when the chick is first forming, maybe the first half of incubation. After it fills the egg more, i can't see the heartbeat and i don't see the chick move. i just keep all the eggs that may be viable in the incubator (or under a broody) until a day or two past hatch day. Then i might pick up unhatched eggs, tap on the large end with my fingernail and chirp. If you hear chirping back, someone is in there. If not, generally they are not viable.

Enchanted,

I've never done it myself. I've only heard of it as a last ditch effort where the person was almost sure there was no hope, but just checking before they tossed it _just_in_case_.

Back
Top Bottom