how to tell if your flock is well fed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CoffeeCow, Sep 9, 2010.

1. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    we had a close call with a hawk yesterday, I went outside just in time to see it fly off a branch, and swoop down into my run... Chickens panicked and flew everywhere, scared the mess out of me! So, I run back to the coop and take a preliminary assessment, they are scared to death, huddled in the back corner, but all seem fine.

I grabbed some netting and went to work covering the open part of the run. its a 20'x30' run, and about 10'at the end is open, so it didn't take too terribly long. I kept an eye on the ladies, and one of the EE's, (Bling is her name) was laying down a lot while I was working, so I go and check her. I rubbed her back, and a few feathers came off, she is moulting (with most of the others as well) so I wasn't alarmed till' I saw the wet spot.. =/ I normally don't pick them up, just pet them. I went to pick her up and when I put my hand under her breast bone, I felt more wetness.... I am not a veterinarian by any means, but my wife is [​IMG] so I go get her to come take a look at Bling. she looked her over, moving feathers aside and looking for the wound, but there was none, it looks like she broke a blood feather or 2 and bled a bit from them (thank goodness!!) and Bling should be just fine (YAY!)

Bling is my "Special" chicken, she has a crooked beak. she doesn't come after the treats like the rest of the flock, but she eats the chicken food just fine, When my wife was looking at her, she asked if "all the chickens were this thin" I honestly couldnt tell her, they all Look okay... but I don't really pick any of them up and feel their bone structures.. till today.... My wife is a cat/dog vet only, and doesn't have the Chicken knowledge that I need in this case.

my question is... when you pick up your chicken and feel the breast bone, should you be able to feel any other bones?

they are about 14 weeks old, I feed them 20% grower, and give them about a cup and a half of sunflower seeds spread out in the run every day. Once or twice a week, I give them some treats from the garden (mostly tomatoes with bad spots)

Sorry for the long winded explination here, but it has been a traumatic 2 days, the chickens didn't even leave the coop today till I coaxed them out with some apples at about 4:00 this afternoon [​IMG]

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by