How to tell if your hen is egg bound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenmama109, May 18, 2019.

1. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    texas
    Hi, I have a hen and I think she might be egg bound, she is almost a year old and is on layer pellets, she has been just laying in the bushes for to days. She still goes at night to rooster but after I let them out of the coop she just sits there. How do I tell if she is egg bound. Could it be anything else?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Egg bound birds are generally very sick looking. Their tails are down and they are actively trying to lay but can't.

BugStalker and Eggcessive like this.
  3. BugStalker

BugStalker Songster

Feb 2, 2016
    chickenmama109 likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might give her an exam all over to see if she has something going on. You can glove up and insert a finger inside the vent 1-2 inches to feel for a stuck egg. Look at her skin around and under the vent for lice or mites moving around. Look for any enlargement in her lower belly between her legs, compared to the other hens. Check her crop to see if it feels empty and flat, full, hard or soft, or puffy like a balloon. First thing in the morning, it should be empty and then gradually fill up as she eats and drinks. Offer her some cooked egg with her usual feed, and water and see if she will eat.

oldhenlikesdogs and BugStalker like this.
  5. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    texas
    Thank you everyone for commenting, so she is still acting weird laying down not walking around very fast at all, but she layed an egg today so I'm confused on what to do. I will check her out and check everything and let you know if I find anything unusual. Is there anything else that can make her act like this?

BugStalker likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Was the egg completely normal or was it large or soft shelled? I would keep an eye on her crop for emptying normally, and check the other things mentioned. Make sure that she is getting some crushed oyster shell and layer feed because the extra calcium in those can be helpful if ahe is getting egg bound. Sometimes they will become sluggish for a few days before becoming sick.

BugStalker and chickenmama109 like this.
  7. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    texas
    I checked her over and she seems fine her vent looks fine except that she kinds walks around with her tail feathers kinda puffed, her egg was normal but she is still walking slowly and just laying in the middle of the yard. I felt her crop and it felt squshy but I will also check in the morning when she has not eaten. I'm not really sure what to do, should I separate her from the flock. I dont really have anywhere else to put her. What could it be?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I usually like to keep them in with their flock as long as they are not getting picked on. Then I use a dog crate with food and water to keep them in with their flock, but protected. What do her poops look like? If her crop is still puffy in the morning, check for a sour odor from her beak. When I have seen sour crop or impacted crop, they have usually been due to a reproductive problem. Here is a good thread to read about crop problems:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

9. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    texas
    Thanks. I checked her crop this morning, and it is empty, I will let you know how she is acting to day, thank you for your help

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you can give her some vitamins and elctrolytes in her water for 2-3 days, it might per her up. Poultry NutriDrench is good, and it can be given orally 2 ml daily orally or mixed into some canned cat food or water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: