1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tell male or female?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EEGHEAD, Mar 9, 2012.

1. EEGHEAD

EEGHEAD Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    My chicks are 3 days old. And I need to figure which are males and which are females. I have 4 of them, 1 of the four is more active than the rest and has more of a comb, so a was assuming he was the only male out of the four. But I would really like to be sure. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Unless they are sex linked, you won't be able to tell until they get the rooster characteristics which can be anywhere from 3-16 weeks. Its too late for vent sexing and you really have to know what you are doing for that anyway. The personality or behaviors won't help you at this age. Sorry.

3. Kiki A

Kiki A Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    SC
    If you let the chicks wander on the ground for 5 minutes, and you drop a hat on the ground the females will shy away from it, but the males will look to see what it was.

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    [​IMG]

5. EEGHEAD

EEGHEAD Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    I'm getting ready to start another batch of like 12 or 15 eggs. How do you vent sex them, and when so a know once the next batch hatches?

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Vent sexing should only be done by trained personnel experienced in the procedure. If you don't do it exactly right, you will damage the internal organs of your chick and harm or kill it.

7. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    I don't know. I've only had chickens for a year and I seem to have a knack for sniffing out the roosters very early on. So far I've been 100% accurate. If you watch them long enough you'll notice subtle differences in their appearance and behaviors. After a few weeks their combs usually start to give them away. You should post pics to see if we can guess. It's tough on appearance alone the first couple weeks though.

8. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Okay this is gonna sound kinda funny but....If you hold a chick upside down by it's feet for just a second, the hens(girls) will just hang limply and the cockerels(boys) will try to get themselves back right side up. It is 80-90% accurate. I was told this by a older lady who has had chickens about her whole life and she swears by it. The breed of the chicks can make a difference. Some breeds the comb gives them away at a few weeks of age. I also have been told if a chick pecks your hand when you reach into the brooder, mark the chick with a dab of nail polish(not red) and watch. Almost always the chick that pecked at you will be a boy. Hope this helps. Send us some pics of the peeps.please!

9. Rita63

Rita63 New Egg

Mar 23, 2012
    This is great info for me. I'm a new chicken momma and I have 6 chicks bought at the feed store. Five are all the same size and kind of laid back but one is twice the size and when I reach in the coop he/she runs at my hand aggressively. Also he/she has a bit of a comb growing.....I'm assuming it's a rooster? I'm not sure how old they are but they've got little wing feathers growing and about 1/2 inches of tail feathers now......

10. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas

Two to three weeks old id say

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by