How to tell quail? White, orTexan?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by plecostrum, Feb 4, 2012.

1. plecostrum

plecostrum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
    I'm confused as to how to tell wht my white quail are ?

Englih white or
    texan

Any ideas of specifics?

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I cant tell you for sure but I thought the only difference was size, I have English Whites and they are smaller than Texas A&M's

3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    size is the only difference, A&M's should be all white(or close to it) your tux's could be partly, but they would be mixed with other colors as well. Hard to tell with nothing in the pictures to judge size. Can you get a photo of you holding it next to something familiar?

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    TEXAS A&M'S WERE NEVER WHITE TO START WITH.....

5. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    so, other then that, any insight on it then?

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL

YES EITHER THEY ARE ENGLISH WHITES OR JUMBO WHITES,,,, SIZE IS THE DEFINING DIFFERENCE. AND HE HAS SOME COOL LOOKING TUXES IN THERE TOO

7. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    well i know about the size, you said before that they wern't originally white(as far as i have heard Texas A&M university used english whites as a basiss)

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    THIS IS NOT A NEW REVELATION, A SIMPLE SEARCH HERE WILL SHOW MANY POSTINGS COVERING THIS COMPLETE WITH LINKS. ORDINARILY I WOULD HAPPILY INCLUDE THOSE LINKS BUT SINCE MY COMPUTER TOOK A DUMP TUESDAY AND I AM ON A BRAND NEW MACHINE I DONT HAVE THE FAVORITES FILES WHERE I HAD THEM SAVED, BUT THEY HAVE BEEN POSTED ON BYC BEFORE AND SHOULD BE EASY ENOUGH TO FIND

THE TEXAS A&M WAS NEVER A WHITE BIRD. IT WAS A BROWN JUMBO THAT WAS DEVELOPED AND RELEASED BY THE UNIVERSITY TO COMMERCIAL FARMS. THE WHITE WAS A CHANGE INSTITUTED BY THE COMMERCIAL FARMS MANY YEARS AFTER THE A&M PROGRAM WAS FINISHED AND DISBANDED. THE CHANGE WAS MADE FOR A "CLEANER" APPEARANCE OF THE CARCASS. AND SINCE MEAT WAS THE PRIMARY FOCUS THEY WANTED THIS CLEANER APPEARANCE AS THE WHITE DOES NOT HAVE MELANIN IN FEATHER FOLICALS OR HOCK JOINTS. THUS LEAVES THE CARCASS LOOKING NEATER.

SO BOYS AND GIRLS, THE NEXT TIME SOMEONE WANTS TO SELL YOU "A&MS ~ DIRECT DECENDANTS FROM THE UNIVERITY PROGRAM"? AND SHOWS YOU PICTURES OF A WHITE COLORED BIRD YOU WILL KNOW THEY ARE PEDDLING QUAIL OIL AND YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE THE NEXT VICTIM

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    YOU WILL ALSO SEE MANY FOLKS CALL ANY COTURNIX "PHAROAH QUAIL" IRREGUARDLESS OF COLOR OR SIZE... BUT THATS NOT CORRECT EITHER IS IT?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by