1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to tell sex and breeds of these chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Double Kindness, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Double Kindness

Double Kindness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    So I went and got these little chicks yesterday, and am trying to sex them and figure out what breeds they are. I'm sure they are barred rock and silver laced Wyandotte. Idk the light ones. How can I tell which are girls so I can rehome the girls with my friends who want egg laying chicks. The rest, freezer camp.

2. ashtree

ashtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    oklahoma hills
    How old are they? Do you have any pictures?

3. Double Kindness

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    Whoops forgot the picts. [​IMG]

4. Double Kindness

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    More picts [​IMG]

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old are the chicks? Except with a few sex-linked crosses, you can't tell the gender of chickens until they are at least 4 weks old. By that point, some roosters will be developing larger combs and thicker legs. You won't really know for sure, though, until they are at least 8 weeks old, since some roosters mature slower than others.

As for the breeds of chick you have, photos would help. It can be difficult to tell the breed of some really young chicks, but most do have defining features even when they are young.

---Edited: I just realized you posted photos. The barred ones are probably Barred Rocks, but they could be Cuckoo Marans. The black/white striped/laced ones are Silver Laced Wyandottes. The white ones are probably White Leghorns, or possibly White Plymouth Rocks.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  6. Double Kindness

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    About 4 weeks old. Barred rock and slw are easier to sex no?

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Barred Rocks can be easier to sex than other breeds, since the males tend to develop relatively large single combs. However, Wyandottes are not easy to sex. With them, you probably won't know (unless you have some really fast maturing roosters) until they are at least 8 weeks old. For now, all of your chicks look female, but that could change.

8. ashtree

ashtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    oklahoma hills
    Sometimes barred rocks are sex linked right? But we'd have to know what the parents are right? I'm no barred rock expert but just throwing this out there

9. Double Kindness

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    yikes! Well it seems like all my friends want chickens from me lol. I only want to keep the white ones and the males, and I have new homes for the girls, but well, how do I even tell? They are 4 weeks old, feathered. Just sprinkled with sevin and corid in their water, b/c I have other chickens.

how much chick grit per cup of soaked crumbles?

I'm going to get together little chicken pharmacy kits for my friends that want these chicks.

10. Double Kindness

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    My friend told me my br with dots on their heads are girls. Is this true?

I'm trying to resist the urge to say add a few of these to my laying flock, but they are on the gamebird feed and growing fast so it seems like unless I figure out which are pullets and which are cockrels, they're all headed for freezer camp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by