How to tell sex of Pekin ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by motleycrewRus, Jun 15, 2016.

1. motleycrewRus

motleycrewRus Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Hello,

I am brand new to this site. After finding it to be a valuable resource and info gathering, I decided to join up!
    I am new to raising ducks and chickens but not new to raising animals. I have hand-raised the ducklings and chicks to their current ages-which is about 3 months. We have 5 White Pekins which have grown rather large now. We have 4 Guinea Hens. 12 Chickens and 12 Ducks( combination of Pekins, Blue Swedish and Chocolate Indian Runners).
    My significant other is great with repurposing building materials and we converted a hay storage unit into a hen/duck house and using recycled pallets into a large backyard area complete with a large pool my kids used to use(grown up now).
    My question is this...at 3 months of age, none of my Pekins have drake feathers. The hatchery told me this was an unreliable way to test the sex as well as the color of their bills(2 have peach-colored bills and 3 have dark yellow). The voice thing is the most reliable but as new raiser of fowl...it is somewhat hard to tell. Originally, I believed my smallest one who is loud and bossy...herds and defends the 5 of them was a male...due to the "guarding" I have seen it do on a daily basis. Waits to eat last and herds/defends the other 4. The smallest one has a loud quack...almost like a honk of a goose!
    The other 4 are quite large and quieter with a softer quack, quack, quack. Some some hoarse. Some just sound like a quieter version of her. They stick closely together...have heard males can bond and stick together.
    At this point, I am not quite sure sex of my ducks. They all seem big enough to tell from size-but no drake feathers.
    If I go by the quacking, I would say only 1 has a very loud quack and the other 4 are more subdued. If startled, however, 1 other makes a louder quack but not nearly as loud as the one I had mentioned!

So as far as I can tell, I must be wrong. The one who always laid back and let others eat first while defending the others(letting nothing come near) that I assumed could be a male based on behavior MUST be a female due to the loud quack I hear from it.
    The 4 others I thought were females are larger and quieter. Some sound hoarse or raspy, others just have a quiet quack-quack.
    I got them together at the same time(a few days old) and all should be the same ages(3 months now).

I also got 3 Blue Swedish ducklings from a hatchery that guarantees all will be ducks/hens. But one is raspy as well and the other 2 are loud quackers. So I may have a drake there, too.

How can you tell for sure? Seems everyone has an opinion as to bill color, plumage and voice differences. But with a large brace, even as I separated them individually, they all tended to get quiet being held or separated as they are hand-raised and pretty tame.
    Only 1 lets out an ear-piercing "honk" out of the 5 Pekins.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

2. Hi I'm also new to this site,our Pekins are different everyday they have been a male and female,then they've been females,we're back and forth all the time ha ha.At the moment we think they are females.Ive never had animals but I just love them soo much.They are such lovely little characters there 3 months old now.Weve called them Pip and Scoot [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7461826/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

3. motleycrewRus

Jun 15, 2016
    Pip and Scoot are beautiful! I love the Pekins~aren't they characters!!! :)
    I guess it does not matter what sex they are. I know it is important to make sure drakes have enough females or possibly need to separate. But at this point, being raised as ducklings all together, they all get along happily. Plus, we have enough hens in total from the other breeds. Not looking to interbreed or hatch any at this time. Lol. One day at a time. Just enjoying our feathered family. They are so fun and funny. Enjoy Pip and Scoot. They grow up so quickly!

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Don't have any pekins now but did growing up. The tail feather was the most reliable method of telling unless you watched their behavior as adults. However it does take a while for that feather to grow in. I think they need to molt first and when the feather falls out during a molt you have to remember who is who.
    Some people claim the females have a rounder head but that is subject to interpretation
    Some breeds are more easily sexed by their coloration.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I agree; they are still too young for drake curls. You'll have to wait at least another month for those to start showing up. Right now the voice sexing is the best way. Hens don't just quack. They make different noises. Mine often walk around chatting to each other is hushed tones. Most of the time they only quack when I come out with breakfast and sometimes when the dogs are barking. [​IMG] But drakes don't quack. Their noise is often described as a raspy, frog-like sound. If your ducks are quacking, they are girls. I have all hens and one is the head girl. She herds the others around and is generally the noisiest of the bunch.

1 person likes this.
  6. motleycrewRus

Jun 15, 2016
    Thanks to one and all.
    Great information. Why I joined up today.
    Hoping I have a few hens...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by