How to tell the difference between Black Giants and Australorps......

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cjeanean, Oct 20, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    If you have a black chicken and can't tell what breed it is (like me) here's what the state poultry vet told me. I guess this only works for telling the difference between Black Jersey Giants and Black Australorps, but here goes:

Catch the chicken.

Wash the mud, poop, and other random stuff of the BOTTOM of a foot.

If the BOTTOM (as in the part that's always touching the ground) is:

White = Black Australorp

Yellow = Jersey Giant

Hope this helps identify some of those chickens out there! I didn't know what mine were till I called him and he wanted to know what breeds I had. I have Australorps, BTW....LOL!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    And wouldn't the Jersy Giant be just a little bit bigger????[​IMG]

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    If you don't have one of each then it's hard to compare size.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    This is true for well-bred australorps and giants, but not so much for hatchery stock. With them, you just have to wait and see if it grows to giant size.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Giants have yellow soles and Australorps have white.

6. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    [​IMG] O.K. now I gotta go back outside and check my JG's feet. Thanks alot. lol:D

7. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    By chance do these breeds have different eye color? My black giants have dark brown eyes but my black araucanas have more of a light brown/golden eye.

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    This is what feathersite says about foot color determining australorps and giants...

"Australorps differ from Black Jersey Giants in that the legs of the Jersey Giant are black (some tending toward willow) and the underparts of the feet are yellow. In Lorps, the legs are black, shading to dark slate in adults, but the underparts of the feet are pinkish white. This works with good show stock, but hatchery stock is more variable and you can't ever be sure unless the birds grow to the size of Giants."

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't have both breeds to compare, but I would love to know just how "giant" a JG is. I am supposed to have Australorps, but I have been wondering for a little while now, if they aren't JGs even though they don't have yellow feet bottoms. How tall are JGs usually? How big are they compared to an RIR or BR?

I know you are supposed to be able to tell from weight, but I don't have a scale to use.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  10. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    This is a fairly old photograph...but..you get the gist...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by