1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HOW TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CUCKOO MARANS AND BARRED ROCK

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jenikay63, May 14, 2009.

1. jenikay63

jenikay63 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    I have both cuckoo marans and barred rocks (Plymouth) and I can't tell the difference. I'm thinking the only way is in the leg/feet color. It appears as if the barred rocks have a more yellowish feeet color while the cuckoo marans have a more olived greenish/brownish color leg/feet. They are 6 weeks old.

Does anyone have any other way I telling them apart?

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Rocks are the yellow legged ones.

3. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    When they get older the rocks should have a larger body structure. The Marans have a similar body style to a leghorn.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Your BR should have bright yellow legs and feet. The Marans have pink legs and feet with a dark smudgy line down the front of the legs.

A BR will have lines that continue across the body or the wing. The cuckoo pattern will be broken, without continuous lines. It's more random. Also, my marans are darker than my BR.

Other than that--it's tough!

Erika

5. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    If my Marans looked like Leghorns they would be culled, as should any like them.
    David

6. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Too right. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by