How to Tell The Gender Of a Chick ~ 1 Day Old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ilovefarming, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Ilovefarming

Ilovefarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2014
    Hi there!
    I have some day old chicks, and this is my first hatch. I have seven of them! :) I am really excited. Is there a way to tell what sex they are at 1 day old? I noticed that 2 of them were more "rambunctious" than the others and fought more. They had bigger combs. Does this mean that they are roosters, or is it just their personality? :)

Thanks so much!!

~Ilovefarming~

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Unless they're all the same breed it can take a long time to tell the sex.
    If you can vent sex (a very difficult thing to do and takes a long time to learn) you can tell with 95% certainty.
    If you can't vent sex, the birds are all the same breed and fast feathering, the pullets will have 2 lengths of flight feathers on their wings. The cockerels will have a single length flight feather.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ilovefarming

Ilovefarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2014
    Thank you!! I do not think I will be able to do the flight feather test, because I have 3 different breeds- Barred Rocks, Black Astralorps, and a Rhode Island Red. But I will study up on the vent sex. How old do they have to be to do the vent sex?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Vent sexing is done at the hatchery when they're a few hours old. It's so difficult to do those are the highest paid people in the business. The feather sexing also has to be done the first couple days before the boys flight feathers start to grow.

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Here have you ever noticed that when a child is first born like a boy them first couple of hours and wow you have no problem telling it is a boy and the next day you see him and you think hay what happened well the blood in his body leveled out and it works the same goes a chick and you need to check in the first couple of hours to get an accurate reading ............

Doe's that help ...........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by