how to tell the sex of brown isa

Havana

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
Hi there im new to raising chicks, I have a handful of brown isa hens who are lovely girls so im trying to get the next generation going! My 5 chicks are 'apparently' approx 2 weeks old with only feathers sprouting on their wings so far, is there any way or will I have to wait? There is one who is more tanny brown than the others and has grown faster! I have a feeling that ones a bouncing baby boy. Im in a residential area and cant keep roosters :(

It is possible to sex chicks by their feathers, but I'm no good at it. Time is really the most certain way of determining sex. It is possible, however, that you may just have a bigger hen, but if you notice red wattles and combs on the one before the rest, you may have a roo.

ISA Browns are a sex link chicken that can be sexed at hatch by down color, girls are reddish and boys are yellowish, so if it is a true first generation ISA Brown and a reddish color, it almost has to be female... could the odd chick be some other breed that got mixed in? They are too young to really sex at two weeks otherwise like LRH97 said, BYC has a nice article in the Learning Center on ways to help figure out what you have as they get older.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/is-my-chicken-a-pullet-hen-or-a-cockerel-cock

welcome-byc.gif

So, you have adult Isa browns and bred them? That's what I'm understanding from your post.

In that case, you basically have mixed breed birds and the chicks aren't sexable by color. They'll all be pretty much a mix of red and white birds.

Hi donrae. No I bought them from a panicked man whose children bought 10 chicks with their pocket money lol he had no idea what to do with them and posted an ad online. I would have taken all of them but the children were devastated so he decided to keep 5 and I took the others. The guy said he had called the breeder to give him a piece of his mind and the breeder confirmed they were brown isa. However im still new so im not sure if I have just dug myself into a hole! Hopefully I can continue to see this as a learning experience and not have to get rid of the whole lot because they are all roosters. At the end of the day I have a retired farmer willing To take roosters so thats a plus:)

Back
Top Bottom