how to tell what breed they are? any noticeable differences?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by farmerwoman, Jan 2, 2017.

1. farmerwoman

farmerwoman New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got some new hens today don't know exactly what kind they are. The person told me they could be of either 2 breeds, columbia white rocks or white sussex. Can anyone give me some ideas of what breed they might be

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't see a photo... [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Agreed - no pic.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Columbian Rocks have yellow skin. Sussex have white skin. Just look at the legs.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Easiest way to tell between those two breeds is skin color. Rocks have yellow skin, Sussex have white. Leg color should tell the tale here.

This is assuming they're white birds with black Colombian markings (collar and tail) and straight combs.

1 person likes this.
  6. farmerwoman

farmerwoman New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    lol, yes i agree i don't have a picture of them yet, but already you guys have given me some good identification markers. Yes there white birds with white and black hackle feathers and black saddle feathers or tail feathers and really bright yellow legs and feet. and the combs are rather small and pale pinkish. These birds were given to me from a friend that had to move in a hurry, so don't know much about them. She also told me they haven't started laying yet which is very concerning to me. Being I have had chickens for years and knowing most start laying around 18-20 weeks of age, I believe these hens are 11 months old. could this also be a characteristic of this breed?

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Sounds like they are Rocks. Could be that they were started on layer feed too soon or they weren't fed properly to begin with, which can slow down growth rate. Then the days likely got too short for production.
    I'd give them unlimited access to unmedicated starter, just in case it is a poor nutrition problem.

8. farmerwoman

farmerwoman New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    I just got these birds yesterday, i believe she had them on a organic veg feed, but I feed our flock all the same 18% layer pellet plus they get house scraps, hen scratch and are also partly free run, at least in the day time. maybe these pictures I recently posted could help identify what breed they are.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    From the pics, they're probably Rocks.

A few look to maybe have barring in the hackles, which would mean the're Delawares. But I'm not sure if that's true barring, or just ruffled/poor condition feathers. You can see them in person and tell the difference. The two breeds really aren't that different (unless you plan on a specific breeding project), especially hatchery sourced, so it's not that big of a deal.

They do look immature to me. I'm not a fan of organic vegetarian feeds. Too expensive for me to ever have tried it myself, but seems we have a lot of members post here with laying or pecking issues and the feed seems to be the source. I'd say put them on what your normally feed, give them a month or so and see how they're doing. Longer daylight plus more/appropriate protein may have you a group of sleek, glossy, productive girls here soonly.

10. farmerwoman

farmerwoman New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    Well, a few weeks have gone by, I've changed there diet, added more daylight hours, and tada[​IMG][​IMG] they are now starting to lay very small eggs, but getting bigger each day, now to collect some and put them in the incubator [​IMG][​IMG] but still not sure there breed, I'm thinking Columbia rocks, seems to be the closest description. Very beautiful birds thou! And pretty happy with there turn around, I think it was defiantly there diet, because since I changed it, before they had very small pale in colour combs and now bright red and have visible gotten larger too[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] thanks for all the response[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by