how to tell what has gotten my birds????? and how to trap it????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MiniTnFarm, May 17, 2011.

1. MiniTnFarm

MiniTnFarm New Egg

Feb 25, 2011
    We are fairly new to raising fowl but so far have had good success. Yesterday my Mrs. Guinea went missing, i was (and still am) hoping she went broody and will come back. Then when i went out today to call everyone in I noticed Mr. Guinea wasn't back I figured he went to find his girl I also couldn't find Susan my favorite Hen. So went into the woods in search hoping to hear something or find them but instead came across something worse. At the edge of the woods i found feathers strewn about and unfortunately it was Ms. Susan's feathers. The only thing there was a bald spot on the ground, lots of feathers and a few drop of blood, several feet away the same thing, and yet again another several feet away deeper into the woods more feathers, but that's it. So what could this be, and how do i trap it? From what I understand fox aren't common here in NW TN, but not rare either, according to a local farmer. Do you think this predator also got my dear guinea's as well? I knew coming into this i may run into predator problems and i don't usually upset easily but my heart is really broken. I can't believe how much I have grown to love my chickens and even my noisy pestering guinea couple. Mr & Mrs. Guinea are so good to us eating up all our ticks and bugs, and Susan was just the sweetest hen ever.

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If it's a Fox, you'll need a large trap, or a leg hold trap.

Coons or possums will enter smaller traps

I'd get the biggest live trap I could, and bait it with sardines or cheap canned fish flavored cat food

3. MiniTnFarm

MiniTnFarm New Egg

Feb 25, 2011
    I will try the sardine bait thank you. On a good note Mr. Guinea has returned which leads me to believe the Mrs. is setting somewhere on our property.

4. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

one thing to add. stake the trap. if its a smart coon it will roll the trap on its side to prevent the door closing. had it happen twice here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by