1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tell what kind of chicks you have?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mommysongbird, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Asking this now, how can you tell what kind of chicks that you have after they arrive?

I know that ours are 'mutts' but they do have certain breeds in them, so how would I be able to tell??

I know from one of the families that we got some from that they are Aracauna and then the other person has bantam among others (I think I know which are the bantam eggs, they are pretty small). The blue/green eggs are the Aracauna but I beleive they are mixed with something.

2. beckim5

beckim5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Vassalboro, ME
    Quote:I will be watching for an answer, because this would be incredibly helpful to me, also! I have blue/green eggs and brown eggs... the only thing that I'm certain of is that there was a Turken rooster running around in the barn, so there's a possibility that I may end up with some Naked Necks! I'm pretty sure I'll know those right from the start...[​IMG]

3. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Well I hope we get some answers, with pictures. [​IMG]

When we got our incubator at Tractor Supply they had some chicks (2 different kinds) in those big trough feeders, well they had signs up telling you what they were, can't remember now, but in one of the troughs there were dark yellow chicks along with some lighter color ones and some even had brown colors. Then in the other trough there were some that were mostly light brown with a little bit of a red color. So I am not sure the signs were exactlty right? But what would I know?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by