How to tell who is laying what!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seafood, Jan 22, 2009.

1. seafood

seafood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    OK...our hens have been laying since July. I think I have an idea of who lays what eggs but I am not completely sure. Here is the lineup.

3 Brown Leghorns. They are easy...these are the only white egg layers we have.

The rest of our eggs vary from pink to brown to brown with some speckles.

We have 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Buff Orps and 1 JG.

I am fairly certain that the pink eggs are coming from the Barred Rocks. BR's are know for production and we get quite a few pink ones on a regular basis.

The brown eggs we get are sort of standard issue brown. Not too dark like a RIR but definately more brown than pink. We also get brown eggs with dark brown speckles on them.

What I really would like to know if what eggs are coming from my one JG. She is probably my favorite hen and I would love to know how often she is laying and what eggs are hers.

Is there any way to distinguish who is laying what? Other than catching them in the act or quarentineing them till they lay?

Thanks all.

2. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Try lining them up and asking each B to id their egg [​IMG]

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Before you try this, make sure NO ONE is around to see you do it. Most folks think chicken people are strange enough.

Get an old stick of lipstick or cheap one from a $1 store. The kind that rubs off easily. Lipstick the vent of a bird.

[​IMG] (like I said, don't let anyone see you do this). [​IMG]

When she lays the lipstick will rub off on the egg. Clean that bird's rear and do another or switch colors for the next bird.

Matt

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Your buff are laying the pink/brown ones. That is what color mine lay.

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    You have got to be kidding about the lipstick...[​IMG]...I realize you probably aren't but...that is well...um...don't let anyone catch you doing that...[​IMG]

6. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Great idea! Just make sure we don't use it on our own lips, huh?[​IMG]

7. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    A person can use a wife's, GF's, or significant other's that is getting on your nerves. Just don't follow up with a kiss and keep the laughing private. Flying plates HURT.

Matt

1 person likes this.
  8. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

^^^ Oh I laughed so hard when I read that. To bad my hubby does not wear lipstick.LOL

9. seafood

seafood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    This lipstick thing might be the greatest idea I have ever heard on BYC. Simply brilliant.

10. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by