How to tell who laid the egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by schatze17, Aug 26, 2010.

1. schatze17

schatze17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Aside from separating the hens, is there a way to tell who laid an egg when you have a flock of chickens in one coop?

I know you can often tell the egg by the breed of the chicken, but if you have more than one of a particular breed, who's the layer?

[​IMG]

2. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Good question. I'm intersted in seeing what everyone has to say!

3. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    I can tell them apart by breed with mine (3 different breeds), but who specifically laid what, I cannot tell without a trap nest. I have to cull my bad layers soon for winter, so I am looking for plans to build one and then I'm going to put leg bands on them (one color bad, one color good) as they come out of the trap nest.

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    without seperating them you need to see physically each bird lay, if you have more then 1 bird laying, I have 3 different breeds of pullet (3 birds) and all 3 dance about the nest box, I've seen the other 2 girls sitting with the laying pullet in the nest waiting for her egg to come, shes a very small bird and sometimes it seems to take her all day to lay her tiny egg,but once she does she is so proud of herself.

5. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
  6. schatze17

schatze17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Quote:Thanks for the link, I was searching the forum and not finding anything.
    [​IMG]

7. Cosmopolis Chick

Cosmopolis Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Grays Harbor
    ... SPYCAM.

HA HA HA!
    Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    I am not always sure who is laying which egg either
    and I am often left wondering who is on vacation from laying! (get to work girls!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by