How to tell who laid which egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vpeterson, Jan 21, 2010.

1. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

I read somewhere that you should put food coloring in the vent of a chicken in order to tell which eggs are laid by that chicken. Has anyone ever tried this?

2. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I heard old lipstick on the vent. [​IMG]

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:Just don't use it on YOUR lips!! [​IMG]

4. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Quote:Just don't use it on YOUR lips!! [​IMG]

that's why it needs to be OLD. [​IMG]

5. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Ohh that would be one cruel prank...

6. vpeterson

Will it harm the hen to put lipstick on her vent? How would you do that? Open it up and make a line around the opening? Outside or inside?

7. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    That is why I just bought a gamespy cam and today will be the 1st day that I get to spy on my hens! Then I will use it for predators.

I will let you know how it works. For the money it will be worth it in the long run to have the extra set of eyes where ever they are needed.

8. vpeterson

ok, i put the lipstick on and in the vent of one of my silkies. Now we wait and see...........

9. Svarthona

Svarthona Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    *rofl*
    I´m just imagining my neighbour pointing at my chickens and ask me why they have red vents [​IMG] sick?
    Umm no, errr huh. Just don´t ask okay.
    [​IMG]
    But he´ll probably know if I sell him red eggs later. [​IMG]

I just get up early and watch them laying [​IMG] their eggs do look different so when I know who lays which shape and shade, then I can identify their eggs anytime. And it seems some girls have favourite spots, some prefer the higher nest box and others only lay in the ones on floor level.
    I tried it with an old web cam, too. Though the wireless isn´t reaching to the chicken house. Yet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by