how to test out if your coop is raccoon-proof?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jennytg3, May 12, 2010.

1. jennytg3

jennytg3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2010
    portland
    Hi - I'm getting ready to put my 9 week old Indian runners outside (late I know, but the coop construction is a little delayed). My husband has made a very sturdy coop with latches that I can lock with padlocks and everything seems raccoon-proof.

However, should we test it out for a few days? FOr example, put some raw chicken meat in it and see if the raccoons get it, or is that just inviting trouble? I just couldn't bear it if anything happened to my ducks, which have become wonderful, friendly pets, and I'm really worried about putting them outside.

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I'd be hesitant to try baiting them in - you certainly don't want to teach the predators that there's a buffet in the coop! Then they might try extra hard to get at your ducks.

3. jennytg3

Feb 1, 2010
    portland
    I know. I was worried if I was just inviting them over for appetizers! I know this sounds crazy, but if I put a baby monitor in there, do you think I'd be alerted in time if something happened during the night?

4. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    If your really worried you can hook up a fence charger to your chicken wire/hardware cloth

works great and dosent harm the ducks

5. jennytg3

Feb 1, 2010
    portland
    how does it not electrocute the ducks? I guess I don't understand how they work.

6. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    It will zap them but it won't hurt hurt them. There made so that it shocks the animal but dosent harm them. The ducks will get zaped once of twice and avoid the wire. When a coon trys to get in they get zaped and run away.

I painted my hardwear cloth with some paint so the ducks don't get shocked but if a coon rips through the wire it will get shocked

thick paint + charger is the best way to go protection wise. Make sure the wire is bare where the charger hooks up tho

~Bryan

7. jennytg3

Feb 1, 2010
    portland
    Thank you! I think I will try that.

8. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Glad I could help. Pm me if you have any questions. Be sure to apply a few coats of paint to both sides so the ducks don't get zaped. But it won't hurt then if it dose shock them. Also I only turn it on at night to save money.

~Bryan

9. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    We have an electric wire around the outside perimeter of our aviary. If you attach it to insulators on the outside of the posts, the ducks won't even be able to reach it. We have never had a problem yet! Plus, we don't waste any money because it is hooked up to a solar powered fencer.

10. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Quote:I find coons to get around single hot wires, and avoid them an enter other ways. Have you ever had This problem? That's why I like the whole hardware cloth electricfyed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by