How to train young hen to go inside the coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CountryBoy47, Jun 12, 2016.

1. CountryBoy47

CountryBoy47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2012
    Wichita ks
    [​IMG]Hi i hope this is the right category. I have 9 egglayers and I have just made them a pop door and I was wondering how I could train them to go back in the coop at night so I can shut the pop door instead of going inside they are hiding in a corner on the hardware cloth any help appreciated... Thanks....[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. CountryBoy47

Oct 30, 2012
    Wichita ks
    ?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I think you are probably going to have to put them in the coop a bit after dark, they will be easier to handle for several nights. In the morning, they will wake up and figure out how to get down. I think I would feed them very close to the ramp too for a while, so they hop up on it.

Then one night you will go out, and can't find them, and they will be safely inside!

Mrs K

4. Grub Digger

Grub Digger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    It might also help if you give them a night light, chickens don't like the dark. You could take a .99 cent solar yard light and charge it during the day and then stick it in the coop at night. The coop becomes brighter than the outside and they should feel safer.

5. CountryBoy47

Oct 30, 2012
    Wichita ks
    Thanks Mrs.K did you train you layers this way?

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I don't have a big ramp. Chicken naturally seek shelter at dark, mine have always just gone in the coop. For the last 7 years, I have had a broody hen raise them, and she leads them in.

If your building was on the ground, they would go in by themselves. Once I had baby chicks, that I let out in the garden during the day time, I just left a carbboard box in there on its side, and come dark, they would all be snuggled down in it.

The ramp, I have heard others say can be a real problem for younger birds. That is why I suggested placing the feed beside it, so they get comfortable around it.

So no, I have never done this with young chickens, I did have a similar set up for a while, but my chickens quickly figured it out. I have had years of experience with chickens and really once you get them over the fear of something strange, they get it.

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by