how to transition my girls to new chicken cabin?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alibraun, Oct 20, 2013.

1. alibraun

alibraun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    ohio
    hi, we have almost finished building our coop, yes its a cabin. how can I get my girls to stay in the new coop??locking them in only option?

2. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I would say yes, lock them in for at least 24 hours. Then you may have to coax them in at dusk for a few nights. I feed mine at dusk so I had no trouble getting them to follow me. After they eat they go up on the roosts and digest their dinner. Now they all put themselves to bed after they eat and I just go out later and shut the pop door.

3. alibraun

Oct 19, 2013
    ohio
    thank you Ellie, we may have to walk a few over to the cabin physically. mine are fed mostly in the afternoon now. I plan to make a feeder with PVC mounted on the wall for our new coop, for when we expand flock.

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Can you put your feeder in the cabin for a while so they learn its a rewarding place to be?

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes, lock them in for at least a week. Having transitioned two batches of pullets a year for many years from the pullet house to the hen house, I do not think 24 hours is nearly long enough. That means that they'll need food and water in their new cabin. Then, let them out in the evening two hours or so before sunset for a couple of days so that they don't wander too far away and forget where their new home is. You may still have to go out and find a couple of the slow ones and put them in for a couple of days, too.

We just catch all of ours, put them in a crate, and move them into the new hen house. That won't hurt anyone, no need to walk them over or anything.

Something else that helps a lot is making sure they can't get back to their old house, otherwise they may go there at night. Near their old house is also a good place to look for silly pullets that tried to go to bed in the wrong place.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  6. alibraun

Oct 19, 2013
    ohio
    thank you WalkingOnSunshine. I hope to get chicken fence moved the same day as the girls, hubby not going to like putting in new ground rod.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by