How to transport adult geese & ducks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by peeppeeppeep, Nov 13, 2011.

1. peeppeeppeep

peeppeeppeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    Okay, this isn't specifically chicken related but I know many people have other birds, so maybe someone can help with this question.

I have a couple of adult geese and a duck that I am selling to someone who's about 400 miles away. She suggested possibly coming by air and taking them home that way vs. driving up and back.

I am wondering if the air travel isn't harder on the birds than a longish car trip (5 hours, I'd guess). Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as I have no experience transporting adult birds.

Thanks!

2. SilkieGirl

SilkieGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Morristown
    Ive taken ducks with me to shows longer than 5 hours away without a problem and also had birds shipped to me without a problem. The ones that were shipped to me were bantam chickens though but I imagine it would be along the same lines, the postal service offers this and it varies from about 45 to 75 a bird ( rough estimate please dont hold me to that lol) plus you have to pay for the box. Buyer most always pays shipping on these things or some people offer to meet at shows. Hope this helps some.

3. peeppeeppeep

peeppeeppeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    Thank you Silkie Girl! I can't see any reason why a drive would be stressful for the birds. Maybe for the lady driving up! [​IMG]

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My birds ride very well in the car. They just settle down and ride quietly. Except the goose will let out a loud honk every now and again.

They'd need a water break on a 5 hour trip.

I've never flown with birds, but I've flown many times with dogs. The dogs don't regard it any different than riding in the car, except they can't see out the window. They just curl up and sleep for the whole trip. I can't imagine that birds would have any problem with it.

Shipping by post office makes me nervous. However, if you've got an airport close, you could take the birds to the cargo desk and she could pick them up at her end.

They'd probably travel in one of those airline dog crates.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Seriously? You can drive 400 miles in 5 hours? I'm not letting you drive if I'm with you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by