1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to transport chicks by car?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Carobean, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Carobean

Carobean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    (First-time chicken-person-to-be here!) I will be getting 4 chicks in a few weeks, to be delivered to a post office 6 hours away (as part of a larger batch to be shared with friends). Any ideas on how to transport my 4 happily and warmly home in my car? Am planning on getting them eating and drinking prior to the car trip. Would it be wiser to give them a day's rest or so between their long trip to the P.O. and the second trip in my car, or just get it over with as quickly as possible? How to keep them warm enough in a car?
    Thanks!
    Carol

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I always have mine in a box, turn the heater up (uncomfortable for me, but not for them), and drive very carefully (no sudden stops & starts if possible).

I reckon in lieu of the heater bit, you could use a warmed up heating pad to place under the box the chicks are in or in the box with a towl covering it.

It's best to do all the transporting at once, don't wait.

3. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    I'm so glad you asked this question. I, too, was wondering the least stressful way to drive my little ladies home for 2 hours. I didn't know if I needed to keep them in the box Ideal hands to me or if I need a mini brooder with food and water. We have an electrical plug adaptor for our truck. Should I plug in a heating pad? I wonder, I wonder. I know I'm going to want to snuggle them all the way home. But what should we do, that's the question...[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I say go ahead and plug it in if you have the adapter for it. [​IMG]

The box that Ideal ships in is just big enough to hold the chicks, there's not really any room for anything else. You wouldn't want to have a waterer in the box while you're driving anyways because of potentially drowning your chicks. Even a feeder could slide around during transportation. They don't necessarily have to eat when you pick them up, but they do need a drink of water if your drive home is going to be a long one.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I say just apply heat. They are going to be cold and stressed, and have no interest in food or water until they are warm and toasty. Once you get home, then get them food and water.

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Would you use a different method for transporting chicks 2-6 weeks old for a few hours by car?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At that age I'd just toss in some fruit if you want. They won't starve in a few hours, as a broody momma hen will sit all night long and sleep with the chicks.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a hot water bottle that you can top up before coming home. Put in a rag or old towel to keep them warm.
    [​IMG]

9. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    i'm so glad this post is here cause i have two little chicks that are 4-5weeks old and in the end of may i'm going to need to transport them in a motorhome for 11hours, and i'm probably going to have to disensemble the hutch cause it won't fit in the doors, should i just put them in a box? or would that be too cooped?

10. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    The day I got our chicks at the feed store, my son and I were headed out of town (1 1/2 hour drive) I lined the box with paper towels, and bought a few HandWarmer brand hand packs from WalMart (got them in the hunting and fishing department) and a baby washcloth (cause they are soft) they did just fine. I wrapped the handwarmers in the washcloth and they snuggled right up.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by