How to Treat a Sinus Infection?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Oct 22, 2011.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    My husband refuses to listen to me.

I KNOW what a sinus infection is...it's when all the junk in your head is blocked and irritates your sinuses. Then you get irritated sinuses (sinusitis).

He claims there is NOTHING in his sinuses...even though he keeps "sucking it up" through his nose.

I swear...anyway, is there anything I can do to help treat it? If nothing else, he's going to the doctor because I am DONE with his man-cold mood swings.

Any ideas? I can safely say the netti-pot is completely out of the question. He's a big baby.

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Quote:I tried the Nettipot. After having in my bathroom for a few months working up the nerve to try it. Watched YouTube vids, eeewww! Some people say that it is great and I just didn't have that experience. Did absolutely nothing but make my eyes water. Good old fashioned Vicks vapor rub works for me. Antibiotics if there is an infection. Good luck!

3. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    If he's sucking it up thru his nose, he's sucking it INTO his sinuses. And with a sinus infection, there is not much breathing thru the nose. And it's only an infection if it's infected! Dayquil for daytime, or Nyquil for at night. Try that for a few days, if that doesn't work, then take him to the doctor.

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Having had a multitude of Sinus Infections in my life, I can tell you this.
    Get him something like Mucinex , sounds weird but that is exactly what drainage is, mucus. I have to be careful about sinus meds as most knock me completely out for days. If he can take something like Chlor-Trimeton make sure it is compatible with the mucinex and use that. Vicks Vapo Rub will help and I have had great success with the "Shower Steamer" tabs you use in the shower (of course I like really hot showers. You could also get a vaporizer and use that. Saline Spray is another good thing, basic principal as Neti Pot (which I LOVE) but less invasive.

Yes, the Neti Pot is gross and a little awkward, but I have been a lot healthier since using mine. Would probably be better if I would use it daily [​IMG]

5. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Sinus pain doesn't always mean there is an infection(bacteria, virus, fungus, stuff like that) in there.

Sinusitis means inflamation. There might be an infection, or it might be allergies causing the pain and pressure.

Allergies in some states are at their absolute worst in October. Some areas have had a lot of rain this summer so fall allergies are worse than usual.

An awful lot of sinus pain can be caused by blocked openings in the sinuses. The tissue around the openings can swell due to allergies.

A neti pot is used with a special salt solution that takes a lot of the swelling out of the sinus tissues. It's very easy and quick to use. It takes a little knack to get to use the neti pot effectively. The salt solution will drain out your mouth when you use it correctly.

Decongestants are often recommended, so are expectorants(I use guaifenesen), but antihistamines can make discharges thicker and harder to drain, but a good many sinusitis sufferers find that taking allergy medication (such as singulair) reduces the number of sinusitis episodes in a year incredibly. Drinking a lot of fluids helps allow the sinuses to drain by thinning discharges.

I also like to 'steam my head' - a large bowl of boiling water covered with a thick towel, and breathe in all that hot steam.

Humifying your house in the winter can also help prevent winter sinus problems. I learned not to overdo in the humidifying department, though.

6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    See, this makes perfect sense to me! He simply won't believe that there is stuff trying to get out!!! Makes me so mad to know I could help him if he'd just listen!!!

7. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    He's now drinking some water. That will help loosen some of it up. The more water he drinks the looser it'll become...now to get him to blow it out...

Ugh. I swear. My boys will know how to take care of themselves!

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    First, too bad he won't use a netti-pot. LOVE mine!! It takes a little getting used to, but it is awesome!

As for sinus issues...I can't get through colds/allergy season without 12-hour Sudafed. Not the crap on the shelf, which is the new formula (doesn't work as well). The good Sudafed with the pseudoephedrine is available from the pharmacist (no prescription required....just state ID depending on the state you live in).

9. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:I wish I could take Sudafed, even the Non-Drowsy stuff knocks me out [​IMG] Yeah, the Neti-Pot is great, it did not take me too long to get used to it, I used to have my sinuses flushed regularly at my allergists, at least with the Neti, I have control, not someone else.

10. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Once I was suffering so bad I couldn't take it any more. So clogged the netti pot wouldn't work. Someone recommended Afrin. It was a life saver at the time. I was able to then use the netti pot. Probably not the best thing to use, but I only used it twice and the netti pot finished the job.

The next time I got sick I had the same problem, but it was worse. The pain was bad. After most of the day had passed I remembered the Afrin. I was frantic trying to find it. Worked great and I only used it once, then back to the netti pot.

They do have the newer rinses that use a bulb syringe - maybe he would be willing to try one of those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by