How to treat chickens with coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jgute1, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Jgute1

Jgute1 New Egg

Nov 10, 2016
    I recently had a fecal test done on both my horses and found that they were infected with coccidiosis that they picked up from my chickens. I also have goats that are around the chickens and horses often so I'm assuming they are carrying it too, although i haven't seen any symptoms of it yet. I have medication the vet prescribed for the horses so i just need to treat the goats and the chickens i read that Corrid 9.5% solution is good for the chickens Di-Mthox 12.5% solution is good for goats. On the products website it says that Di-Methox 12.5 % can be used for chickens and goats but i want to make sure i treat everyone and kill it all because i am planning on selling my goats soon. i would rather not have to buy 2 separate meds has anyone ever tried these brands on goats or chickens ? TIA
    -Jessica

Also haven't seen any symptoms of the disease in my chickens either except for a reddish color which I'm assuming is blood in their poop every once in awhile

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Coccidiosis is species specific. That means chickens will not get Coccidiosis from your horse.

3. Jgute1

Jgute1 New Egg

Nov 10, 2016
    we had a fecal test done at msu and thats what they found dogs and cats can get it at as well so its not only chickens that can contract it.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I suggest you chat with a vet about coccidiosis being species specific.

5. Jgute1

Jgute1 New Egg

Nov 10, 2016
    The vet was the one who told us that the chickens gave it to the horses and the goats so no use in doing that but thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by