How to treat diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lindaDH, Feb 12, 2019.

1. lindaDH

lindaDH In the Brooder

Oct 15, 2018
    Northern CA
    Hello! I have a 9-month-old hen with diarrhea and I'm not sure how to treat it. Yesterday she was behaving oddly, wouldn't come out of the coop, and her waddle and comb were pale. I noticed she had some mustard colored diarrhea while I had her out in the run. She seems to be drinking okay, and I saw her scratching and pecking at the ground. I'm wondering if this is worms, and what I should treat it with.

Thank you,
    Linda
    Linda IMG_0393.jpg IMG_0396.jpg

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    upload_2019-2-12_12-55-46.png

3. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    When was the last time she laid an egg?
    Do you feel any bloat/swelling of fluid in her abdomen?

It's hard to tell, but the poop looks "eggy" or like it has egg yolks in it. Does she have a discharge from the vent?
    She looks under the weather and her stance says she is not feeling too well.
    Have you checked to make sure she is not egg bound?
    Was her crop empty this morning?
    What do you normally feed, including treats?

I would get her hydrated, check inside the vent for an egg and give her some extra calcium (Tums or 1/2 tab Caltrate), get some vitamins into her as well if you have them. 1cc per 3 pound of weight (Like Poultry Cell or Nutri-Drench).
    Re-check the crop first thing in the morning to see that it's empty.

Keep us posted.

upload_2019-2-12_12-59-9.png

Saaniya and Eggcessive like this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like Wyorp Rock has you on the right track. These problems usually occur in hens over 2, but occasionally a younger pullet will have reproductive problems.

lindaDH likes this.
  5. lindaDH

lindaDH In the Brooder

Oct 15, 2018
    Northern CA
    Thank you so much for your reply. I thought it looked a little eggy as well, but very watery at the same time. Amy the hen eats layer pellets, scratch, lettuce, spinach, and cheese. She laid the last time the day before I believe, but sometimes it's hard to tell because I have two hens. I uploaded two new photos I just took; Happily, Amy is out scratching around with her friends, but her poop is still odd looking to me, what do you think? I did by the tums and for clarification, should I just grind one up and just let her peck at it?

Thanks again, I love having chickens, but I'm not feeling confident about illness yet!

Attached Files:

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    That is some yellow looking urates.
    How much of those treats does she get daily.
    Can you feel of her abdomen for any bloat/swelling?
    It would be good to take some samples of the poop to your vet for testing.
    Re-check her to see that the crop is empty in the mornings.
    It's good that she is more active today. Some hens have reproductive problems but can still function for a good while.
    upload_2019-2-12_15-11-14.png

7. lindaDH

lindaDH In the Brooder

Oct 15, 2018
    Northern CA
    I'm guessing the green is caused by the veggies, but the yellow concerns me. We don't have a vet in the area who sees chickens. I wonder if I'm giving her too much cheese? That's the only non-veggie treat I give other than bread occasionally. Thanks for your help!

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I don't think the yellow is caused by cheese.

Infection and reproductive problems come to mind when I see poop like that. Let's get another person to chime in.
    @Eggcessive

Eggcessive and lindaDH like this.
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with Wyorp Rock that yellow poop like that is not from certain foods, but it could be egg material or yllow urates. Those things are a sign of reproductive problems and can be from infection. I think sticking to mostly a diet of chicken feed, and only a only some higher protein treats like egg or tuna would be what I would feed.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 11:32 AM
    lindaDH and Wyorp Rock like this.
  10. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    In hens I always get worried when I see those yellow yolk looking poop
    Possibly internal laying
    Or reproductive issue

I agree with what others says
    Hope she get well :fl

Eggcessive, lindaDH and Wyorp Rock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: