How to treat Diarrhea?

jthornton

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
Veronica has diarrhea, what can I give her to treat that? Currently she is eating mash and drinking water.

They have been wormed with the low dose treatment a couple of weeks ago and looking at her poop under a microscope I don't see any worms. She is isolated and staying in the Chicken Hilton.

JT

Apple Cider Vinegar can help with that. Has your chicken been eating a lot of protein infused treats like mealworms? Overdoses of protein can cause diarrhea, on the other hand it could be a sign of coccidiosis. Is this the only symptom she has?

What did you use for worming? Can you look for coccidia oocysts when you look at some droppings? When they drink more water or eat feed with water added, mine will leave more runny poops on the roost at night. Some who have reproductive disorders may have runny stools. But it is good to look at worms or coccidiosis as possible causes. Do the droppings look normal, but just runny? A little cottage cheese can firm up droppings if it is a particular hen, plus add some probiotics.

Apple Cider Vinegar can help with that. Has your chicken been eating a lot of protein infused treats like mealworms? Overdoses of protein can cause diarrhea, on the other hand it could be a sign of coccidiosis. Is this the only symptom she has?

Diet has not changed, they (8 RIR hens) get 1/4 cup of dried mealworms a day. She was pretty sick and did not eat for 24hours and barely drank anything. She is eating now and drinking better. I didn't see any sign of coccidiosis.

JT

Has it gotten hot suddenly where you live? Some of my hens, especially small combed or larger hens, experience loose dropping during the first hot spell.

What did you use for worming? Can you look for coccidia oocysts when you look at some droppings? When they drink more water or eat feed with water added, mine will leave more runny poops on the roost at night. Some who have reproductive disorders may have runny stools. But it is good to look at worms or coccidiosis as possible causes. Do the droppings look normal, but just runny? A little cottage cheese can firm up droppings if it is a particular hen, plus add some probiotics.

I'm starting them all on some probiotics, she has mash and water with probiotics. It has been really wet here but finally dried up and a lot of them had diarrhea but most have cleared up with just an random squirt. So we see what the probiotics do. I'm a little leery of giving her any dairy products while her digestive system is so messed up.

Hard to tell if they are normal but runny they are scattered all over the pine chips, but next time she goes I'll try and get some out without mixing them up to much. She is being a good trooper and today started to talk to me a bit.

JT

Glad that she is doing better. It is true that chickens should not have a lot of dairy. However in measured amounts, small amounts of buttermilk with cooked rice, cottage cheese are good for runny droppings and can help if their is coccidiosis until Corid is given. Those and a brand name plain greek yogurt can give a lot of probiotics.

Back
Top Bottom