How to treat for parasites based on fecal sample

RuffIedFeathers

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
I'm trying to get everything needed so I can do regular fecal tests myself. I also just sent a couple samples into the vet to be analyzed. I guess my question is, how do you know what and when to treat? If you find any eggs, etc do you automatically just treat for that? Are there some amounts of certain parasites that are normal? For example, I know coccidia is normal in an environment, so is there a certain amount that's normal in a fecal? How do you know what is normal and what isn't? And is there a guide on treatments for each? Thanks!

Very good explanation here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/fecal-examination-in-backyard-chickens-101-part-1.75459/
Albendazole (Valbazen), fenbendazole (Safeguard, panacur) and praziquantel (for tapes, Equimax and Zimectrin Gold), and amprolium (for coccidia, Corid, Amprol) are the most common ones used and will take care of most everything.
*Edit* - You will still find ivermectin recommended in many sources, however some parasites are becoming resistant to it, so one of the above is usually a better choice for internal parasites. Ivermectin can still be useful sometimes for some external parasites in chickens.

Back
Top Bottom