How to treat frostbite

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dreamfree, Feb 19, 2016.

1. dreamfree

dreamfree New Egg

Dec 8, 2015
    Time of below 0, my rooster got frostbite on his feet. Now the toes turn black. I want to heal them but don't know how. Any idea or experience, please let me know

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    The blackness is dead tissue. I have never had a problem with chicken feet getting frostbite, but I get my birds' combs a lot. I put Vaseline on their combs to prevent frostbite. As for the feet, frostbite occurs when there is moisture in the cold. If you can, try to keep his feet dry. This will prevent further injury. I'd also try the vaseline, only, he'd be able to wipe it off.

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Where are you located and what does your coop look like? Is it mostly enclosed or well ventilated? What size, shape and material is the roost bar he was using?

4. dreamfree

dreamfree New Egg

Dec 8, 2015
    Thanks couchin & howard. Im in WI, my coop is insulated inside my barn and I also have a heater in it too, but not enough. It is very cold. My rooster is 10 lbs can't sleep on bar, sleeps on floor. I think the moisture came from the way he stept on the dropping.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could cover the roost poles with towels(tacked to them) so when the birds roost and lay their heads over their feet, it would help keep them warm.

7. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Hm. Frostbite happens when there is moisture. Wouldn't the towels just keep moisture in them? I'd recommend no. And, when the birds poop all over the towels... those will be some really gross towels. At least on wooden perches you can wipe/scrape it off. With towels, it would be a whole other story.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by