How to treat Giardia?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mallory8502, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Mallory8502

Mallory8502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    I had been letting my dog drink water from my rain barrel system (not anymore) and she caught Giardia. She has been treated but the chickens were drinking the same water and now all of them have diarrhea. I am suspecting they have it too but I have no idea how to treat them.

I still have Corid from when they got coccidia when they were younger, but the package does not say anything about Giardia. I don't have an avian vet where I live plus I have heard Giardia is hard to find in fecal samples. I would like to go ahead and treat them but don't know what medicine to buy. I have a tractor supply, a southern states, and a petsmart nearby.

2. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    I have heard of giardia in streams but not in rainwater. Interesting...

3. Mallory8502

Apr 26, 2014
    It isn't the rainwater itself, it is because the rainwater is being captured by the roof first and running through the gutter. Apparently the wild bird and squirrel poop on the roof, and in the gutters, is probably infected with Giardia, and then it washes into the barrels, at least that is what the vet said.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Purchase metronidazole 250mg online as "fishzole." Dosage is one 250mg tablet given orally to each bird once a day for 5 days.

5. Mallory8502

Apr 26, 2014
    Thank you.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  7. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Wow, what a way to ruin water for everyone huh?!? Darn the beautiful wildlife for liking our homes so much;-) Thanks for posting this because I don't think Giardia would even cross most folks' minds.

8. Mallory8502

Apr 26, 2014
    The vet gave my dog metronidazole 500mg. I explained to the vet what was going on with the chickens but they refused to give me an RX just because they don't treat birds. It was really frustrating considering I can go online and get the same thing OTC for fish - I just didn't want to wait for shipping. The local pet store only had 10mg, not 250.

So I bought safeguard 10% wormer like you said from tractor supply. The chickens are nearing 5-6 months old so it is a good time to do it anyway. None of them are acting sick so I hope it isn't too hard on them. The safeguard came a couple of different ways and I bought the small bottle of liquid labeled for goats - I am very confused about dosage! Can you help?

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The dose listed on the bottle is for goats (5mg/kg), but chickens get more than that. Lately I've been giving mine between .2ml and .5ml for five days in a row (20mg-50mg/kg). I'm very OCD when it comes to medicating my animals, so those that can be weighed are weighed and dosed accordingly.

If your chickens poop looks normal and they're acting fine, I see no reason to treat them with metronidazole, but that just me.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry, I re-read your post and since they all have the runs I'd order the metronidazole for sure.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by