how to treat leg mites on my chickens

chickenmama109

Crowing
Mar 5, 2017
texas
hi everyone, I was looking at my flocks feet today and it looks like some of there scales are poking up, mostly on my feathered footed bantams. I was wondering how to get rid of them, and also we built the coop out selves so there is wood in there and I did not really know what to clean that with that will not harm the chickens. thanks

cavemanrich

Addict
7 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
You can treat your chickens' legs with Vaseline. I have used Crisco shortening, and Margarine myself, since prefer something eatable. Vaseline is not supposed to be bad if it is ingested, but my preferences are still with things that I would spread on my bread sandwich. The paste actually suffocates the mites. Chickens do like to peck at their own feet scales when mites are present.
For your coop. remove chickens from inside and spray with household bleach. Your straw,hay, or wood shavings would be removed and cleaned out. Bare wood to be treated. A good soaking into the crevices as well. Bleach will evaporate in a while, and chickens are safe to enter when odor of bleach gone.
Replace with fresh bedding.
I usually did the coop cleaning when it was warm by me. Evaporation was faster.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Dr.GarryTTucker

Songster
May 1, 2018
Southeast Texas
I contacted another professor of veterinarian med. he said he has been using gasoline for about 15 years to treat leg mites. Dunk each leg in a cup of gas and let sit for 20-30 seconds every other day. Then cover with A and E ointment every day. He said do 3 treatments and that should be enough.

Top Bottom