How to treat niacin deficiency appropriately?

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
One of my pekin ducklings has niacin deficiency (at least i think it does). Its leg is looking bent inwards and it’s having trouble walking. I’m hesitant about giving it any liquid vitamin b complex bc i don’t trust myself to inject it into its mouth. I already have brewer’s yeast, which i give to my ducklings every day. This one ducklings seems to be the only one who is having this trouble. The internet says five billion different things about treating niacin deficiency. I’m confused about what dosage to give also. The ducklings are 4-5 weeks old. I already read that one thread about niacin deficiency, but as I said, i don’t trust myself to inject the ducklings with liquid vitamin b complex.

Water is going to weaken it so best to put over a treat just enough so they get the full dose. or a small bit of feed with the b complex mixed into it. You want to make sure this duckling that is having problems gets a full dose daily. I don't know why it seems just one duckling out of many will have a niacin deficiency but it seems that is usually the way it is. But there is still a good chance you can keep him from going lame in that leg if you get him started asap.

What a precious baby. Okay, you're giving the liquid niacin? How long have you been giving?
full dose 1 ml daily.

Your duckling looks a little hunched back but that may be from over compensating with how it's walking.
Get it on the liquid B complex if you want to help.

Last edited:
Yep. It’s been almost 2 weeks since i put him on it.
What a cutie! I think you just need to give it more time. You started the thread July 10th. That's only 10 days and it has most likely been less time than that since you had to order the product. It's not going to hurt the duck or any duck if they get niacin in their diet. Its beneficial whether they have a deficiency or not. Pekins are very prone to leg issues.
The duckling doesn't look like its suffering. It looks like its enjoying life. So, just give the supplement time to work. :hugs

You can put the vitamins on one it's favorite treats. Depending on the size, it can be very difficult and potentially dangerous to inject it into its mouth.

You can also give them peas as a treat, it has lots of vitamin B and ducks love them.

If you haven't looked at it yet, here is a link about naicin deficiency and treating it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Back
Top Bottom