How to treat poult's head/eye injured from being pecked?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by junglebird, Sep 6, 2011.

1. junglebird

junglebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    5 week old poult. I think it's a pecking injury. Just started letting the poults into a yard with a thin fence next to the chickens, there was some scuffling going on, I didn't realize how bad it was .... Poult was fine yesterday, saw this today.

The eyeball itself seems ok, just some swelling and redness around it. She seemed fine being with the other poults and chicks this morning, acting like her normal mellow self. But I put her in a cat carrier till I figure out how to treat.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Tylan powder in her water for a few days t prevent infection, then vitamins and electrolytes

3. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    And keep her seperated for a while.

4. junglebird

Aug 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG] thanks for your quick responses - is there anything topical I should do? I don't see dirt on it, but should I do a saline rinse?

5. junglebird

Aug 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thought I'd post a pic of the magically healing poult! Here she is only 2 days after the 1st pics were taken:

[​IMG]

All I did was add a dab of neosporin into some herbal salve, smeared that on the wound, and kept her separate for a few hours. By then her wound had started to look dryer and less obvious, so I let her out. But the other poults were still too interested in her wound, so I put her back in the cat carrier for a few more hours. By evening I was able to let her back out with the flock, and no one paid too much attention to her.

Neato! [​IMG]

6. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    It never ceases to amaze me how fast a chicken can heal! Good luck with her!

7. Silkie-lover33

Silkie-lover33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow!!! She really is a tough one!

8. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    she's smiling! sigh, so nice to see a happy ending on this thread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by