How to treat poult's head/eye injured from being pecked?

junglebird

Songster
9 Years
Aug 29, 2010
Southern Oregon
5 week old poult. I think it's a pecking injury. Just started letting the poults into a yard with a thin fence next to the chickens, there was some scuffling going on, I didn't realize how bad it was .... Poult was fine yesterday, saw this today.

The eyeball itself seems ok, just some swelling and redness around it. She seemed fine being with the other poults and chicks this morning, acting like her normal mellow self. But I put her in a cat carrier till I figure out how to treat.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
smile.png

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2835.jpg

Thought I'd post a pic of the magically healing poult! Here she is only 2 days after the 1st pics were taken:

IMG_2848.jpg

All I did was add a dab of neosporin into some herbal salve, smeared that on the wound, and kept her separate for a few hours. By then her wound had started to look dryer and less obvious, so I let her out. But the other poults were still too interested in her wound, so I put her back in the cat carrier for a few more hours. By evening I was able to let her back out with the flock, and no one paid too much attention to her.

Neato!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom