How to treat punctured foot with swelling (not an emergency)

MilesFluffybutt

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 16, 2016
Vermont
My dear boy, Yeti, has a puncture wound in his foot. It looks to be a couple of days old, but I only noticed it tonight due to the swelling.

I cleaned the wound with a little soap and water then soaked his foot in Epsom salts for about 10 minutes this evening. After the soak I sprayed it with vetericyn. I don't have any peroxide or Neosporin w/out pain relief. Will pick up both tomorrow.

The wound itself feels warm and the swelling is firm - not hard like Bumblefoot, but not squishy like an old blueberry.

I have vet wrap, though, I haven't wrapped it. I tried, but he wasn't having any of it. I need a second set of hands for that.

What else can I do? What else do I need?

He's in the house for the night. For as long as he needs to be, really.

20170822_201840.jpg

20170822_201656.jpg

It looks like he may be developing infection - so techinically it could possibly be classified as Bumblefoot which is basically an infection caused by the staphylococcus bacteria which enters the chicken's system through a cut, scratch, injury or an irritated area on the foot.

Soaking in epsom salts may help reduce the swelling. Vetericyn is very good so you can use that if you want. I'm thinking that eventually it will probably have a core or need to be expressed at some point. You can also try something like Tricide Neo to see if that makes an improvement and dries it up - mix 1/2Tablespoon Tricide Neo to 2quarts of DISTILLED WATER. Soak for 5-7minutes, 2X a day. The mixture is good for 5days, then make a new batch. After soaking - dry and apply the Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment, you can wrap the foot if needed or keep him on clean dry bedding.

I gave him another 15 minute soak this morning and another spritz of Vetericyn. I'll snag some Tricide Neo today when I'm in the Big City this afternoon.

What's the best way to express the fluid? I was thinking to pick the scab and massage it out. If I can't get the scab, I could slice it open with a scalpel.

No luck locating Tricide Neo locally. I'll order some and save it for next time. There's always a next time.

I'll keep treating with what I have. If it doesn't look better by Friday, I'll send a photo to my vet and ask for help. She'll probably tell me to lance it and then prescribe an antibiotic.

I'm not 100% sure that this will do the trick, but Vetericyn works miracles!
Hi Rod, I have been applying Vetericyn after his Epsom salts foot soak and peroxide application. He's a bit of a handful so anything beyond that I'll need to recruit help for.

I'm not sure the peroxide is a good idea.
Oh? Why not? I picked some up this afternoon while out in the Big City so tonight was the first night he got a spritz of it. What about iodine? Is that okay to use? I have some and was thinking to use it if I have to lance.

I think the peroxide would be ok to use once but it kills the "good stuff" too.

Back
Top Bottom