How to treat swollen face/neck?

Jan 1, 2020
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I have no idea what might have caused this but I have a cockerel with facial swelling, he is showing no signs of respiratory issues so I don’t think it’s respiratory disease. Also looked inside his beak and I don’t see anything unusual. I’ve separated him from the rest of the flock and it doesn’t seem like he has been eating since his crop is empty.
Is there anything I can do to bring down the swelling or a type of antibiotic I can use in case of infection?
I can’t afford to take him to a vet so looking for something that is available without a prescription.
Also what could cause this without any sign of external injury?

Attachments

• EFB3448D-2158-4188-8724-7F65547D3074.jpeg
    EFB3448D-2158-4188-8724-7F65547D3074.jpeg
    982.3 KB · Views: 6
  • B39D6D6E-1F76-4841-9E9D-8F9ECE2816B7.jpeg
    B39D6D6E-1F76-4841-9E9D-8F9ECE2816B7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
First off, it appears this is a hen. I see no signs of cockerel plumage.

Facial swelling can be from an eye injury, a sinus infection or a CRD or worse. Without other signs of respiratory illness, I usually treat for a simple sinus infection by washing the eye with saline and putting terramycin twice a day in the eyes.

I've also had very good luck treating facial swelling with steroid eye drops or cortisone cream around the eyes on the facial tissue, careful not to get this latter in the eyes.

A prescription is required for the steroid eye drops but I've gotten it from people who have had cataract surgery and had the prednisone eye drops left over.

First off, it appears this is a hen. I see no signs of cockerel plumage.

Facial swelling can be from an eye injury, a sinus infection or a CRD or worse. Without other signs of respiratory illness, I usually treat for a simple sinus infection by washing the eye with saline and putting terramycin twice a day in the eyes.

I've also had very good luck treating facial swelling with steroid eye drops or cortisone cream around the eyes on the facial tissue, careful not to get this latter in the eyes.

A prescription is required for the steroid eye drops but I've gotten it from people who have had cataract surgery and had the prednisone eye drops left over.
He is only 3 months so that may be why he looks like a hen but he is definitely a cockerel, looks totally different from the pullets his age, same breed. (pic below)
I was thinking maybe an eye injury also, crazy enough my grandma just had cataract surgery so I should be able to get the eye drops!
Most of the swelling is right under his beak, it’s very lose and soft like it’s fill with fluid. I also was thinking maybe he got stung or bit by something, wasp, spider, etc. but that’s all I could come up with.

Attachments

• 2C2EEBDB-D5DD-4C45-A228-665ADD46CE64.jpeg
    2C2EEBDB-D5DD-4C45-A228-665ADD46CE64.jpeg
    617.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom