How to treat tapeworms in peafowl?

3BirdGirlz

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Montana
What do you use to treat peafowl with tapeworms? I use safeguard for everything else, but it doesn't treat the tapes. I just want to know in case mine ever get them....our horses and cats get them, so I wouldn't be surprised if my peafowl get them. I would rather give it in water or food. Will albendazole be safe for peafowl? Thanks!

What do you use to treat peafowl with tapeworms? I use safeguard for everything else, but it doesn't treat the tapes. I just want to know in case mine ever get them....our horses and cats get them, so I wouldn't be surprised if my peafowl get them. I would rather give it in water or food. Will albendazole be safe for peafowl? Thanks!
Albendazole (Valbazen) gets tapes, but I think I'm going to do more research on it before I use it. I guess if I were going to treat mine for tapes, I would use Praziquantel.

Here is the albendazole info from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook.

Last edited:
Thanks! I've read about praziquantel for peafowl, but my birds don't really like treats, so putting a pea size dose on bread probably won't work. But at least I could try if need be...I use that for my horses so I usually have some on hand. Thanks again:)

Thanks! I've read about praziquantel for peafowl, but my birds don't really like treats, so putting a pea size dose on bread probably won't work. But at least I could try if need be...I use that for my horses so I usually have some on hand. Thanks again:)
You can buy it in pill form.

Last edited:
i use prazi on my koi as part of their bi/tri annual anti-funking practices .. just a heads up --prazi is darn near IMPOSSIBLE to dissolve in water alone .. part of my 'cleansing' of the koi also includes a formaldehyde based product in which the prazi readily dissolves .... i would NOT use any formaldehyde based products on the peas ...however, prazi does readily dissolve with a shot or two of vodka --- i KNOW it's harmless to the koi, and i doubt the pea would mind a little buzz, but i've neverused it on the birds and if anyone KNOWS that alcohol could cause problems, i hope they step in...

as far as koi go (and they're a sensitive creature) you can OD 5 - 10 times without any repurcussions ..prazi i s a gentle, effective dewormer -- but it's also big bucks...

Kathy how do you feel about using Valbazen? What is the dosage for it?
Okay... Any wormer that can cause death or aplastic anemia when given at a low dose is not one I want to use on any of my animals, period.

This picture doesn't even list birds other than ratites, but I did see an abstract and the recommended amount for use in chickens was 20mg/kg

If you want to treat for tapes, I think your best bet is praziquantil. However, I just learned from reading another abstract that fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur) does in fact get one type of tapeworm when given at 20mg/kg three days in a row.

-Kathy

Kathy how do you feel about using Valbazen? What is the dosage for it?
Okay... Any wormer that can cause death or aplastic anemia when given at a low dose is not one I want to use on any of my animals, period. This picture doesn't even list birds other than ratites, but I did see an abstract and the recommended amount for use in chickens was 20mg/kg If you want to treat for tapes, I think your best bet is praziquantil. However, I just learned from reading another abstract that fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur) does in fact get one type of tapeworm when given at 20mg/kg three days in a row. -Kathy
Ouch! So does Safeguard kill ALL worms?

Back
Top Bottom