How to treat the feeding area? Suggestions please!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jacyjones, Aug 17, 2010.

1. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    We free range our little flock of chickens and ducks and we feed them away from their run on a sloping piece of ground that is earth and shale. We have been using it for about 5 years and would like to clean it somehow to get rid of any bacteria from their poo. Has anyone done this kind of thing and are there any suggestions what we should put down? We are in the UK so the weather is very mixed here - I don't think DE would work. Over to you my friends. Thanks!

2. jacyjones

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Has anyone any ideas about this - I told my husband that you would all be able to help here - don't let me down!!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Not sure on this one. Why exclude DE just because of mixed weather?? That would just mean you might have to sprinkle it about once a week or once a month... I would rake up the area really well. If it's just rock and dirt, after raking it up, I suppose spraying a mix of bleach and water would help kill bacteria that may have accumulated. Since there's apparently no vegetation in that area, it's not like you have to worry about it killing the plant life... Just a suggestion...

4. jacyjones

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Thanks for the suggestion. I know DE needs to be dry and we have so much rain I thought I might be wasting my time and money!!

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Knowing how much rain England gets and considering the site is sloping earth and shale, I can't imagine much poo accumulating. What's stuck in cracks should break down eventually, so if I were concerned, all I would do is load up a five-gallon sprayer with a strong bleach/water solution and spray/soak the entire area (maybe twice a year).
    Is the site getting lots of sunlight? That would help too. Remember, some poo bacteria is beneficial for chickens.
    Actually, if there's no odor, I wouldn't worry about "bacteria" because bacteria is everywhere, poo or no.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  6. jacyjones

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    That is a brilliant answer - thanks. I have no concerns personally - there is no smell and it does get sun and rain so I think we are ok. If hubby wants to spray it then he can but I really don't think there is a need.

7. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    If your feeding area is exposed to sun, it will be sanitized. The sun is a fabulous purifier. It is fab for getting stains out of clothes, esp. cloth diapers![​IMG] I wouldn't use bleach or other chemicals. They can be very toxic.

8. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    I would leave it alone as long as there is no smell.

9. jacyjones

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Thanks everyone - I have told my husband the answers and I think he is happy to leave well alone, thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by