How to treat this?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by madisonboe, Apr 23, 2018.

1. madisonboe

madisonboe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2014
    Rio Linda, California
    I came home from work to this today DC62C24D-BAB8-43A0-8A5C-5B6877D426EC.jpeg
    Basically she somehow got stuck under the chicken wire and now all he feathers under her wing are completely gone! The skin looks raw and red and I feel so bad for her. Is there anything I can do?! I can try to get a better picture of her now that she’s not stuck anymore If that helps!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would get some vetericyn wound spray to treat it. In the meantime saline would work fine. Then coat it with plain neosporin or tiple antibiotic ointment. Place her in a dog crate with food and water. Do you think she may have been bullied by another chicken or rooster, and wedged herself under there to get away? I would get some BluKote to spray her wounds when they heal a bit, to hide the red so she won’t be pecked when you add her back to the flock. Do spend some time to find out if they are bullying her.

madisonboe likes this.
  3. madisonboe

madisonboe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2014
    Rio Linda, California
    Thank you I will get some of that right away! I already put her in a big dog crate with the other three juveniles, it seemed like they were all trying to get away from the big girls. I think we need to spend more time integrating, they were all fine for a few days I don’t know what changed but I guess we’ll go back to separation with sight only for a while longer!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by