How to turn eggs by hand

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by unionwirewoman, Nov 12, 2008.

1. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Hey all...I'm going to be sending some eggs off soon for the first time . Most of my hens are moulting so I'm only getting 3-5 eggs a day . How long and at what temp can I keep them till I ship them off ? I'm doing this as a fovor for a member and want to make sure she gets as many viable eggs as she can . Any info would be great , especially what degree I need to turn them and what temp they need to be kept at , how many days can I keep turning them, at what temp till I ship them out...etc .
    Thanks for the info in advance !

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    How long and at what temp can I keep them till I ship them off ?

If you are mailing them, I wouldn't keep them any longer than 4 or 5 days tops.

what degree I need to turn them
    I keep mine in an egg carton, and just switch it from one side to the other.

what temp they need to be kept at
    I bellieve it is between 55 and 70 degrees, but room temp is fine

Just make sure not to keep them too long, it takes 2-3 days to ship priority, and they start losing their viability pretty fast after about 7-10 days. Usually 3-4 days is what most people do.

3. unionwirewoman

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    The person I'm shipping to is in the same state...usually only takes regular mail 1 day to get there . We use wood heat so keeping them downstairs would be a problem . If I kept them up stairs for 3 days at a temp of 55-60 would that be ok ? So I turn them upside down in the carton 2 times a day ? Just really want to keep these eggs viable for the person I'm shipping them to . I'm not selling them.....I just want to help her build her flock back up after losing most of it . I know just shipping them will be hard ...so I have to do the rest of it right so she has the best opprotunity at hatch rate ! How I'm missing my usually broody hens , they too are moulting ! Would definetly make this alot easier !

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    No, don't turn them upside down, just from one side to the other, like the side that opens once in the morning, then the side that doesn't open (the hinged side) in the evening. 2 x's a day, that's all they need. Keeping them where it is cooler is better.
    Just need to make sure the eggs would be no more than 7 days old when she gets them. And make sure they are small side down in the carton.

You could also just tilt the carton, by putting something under one end of it. only twice a day is all that is needed.

5. unionwirewoman

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Thank you so much shellyD2008 ! I'm not new to chickens....just new to trying to ship them out ! Great info ....it really helps out alot . Can I say thank you again ?![​IMG]

6. unionwirewoman

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Oh crap....one more question....when I ship them....should I pack them small end down ? Sorry so many questions...just want to get this right ! I know how to package them...thanks to all the past posts .

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You wrap them each in bubble wrap, tape them closed and lay them in the box on their sides. Small end up would be a no no....but you don't need to place them small end down either.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Yeah the chances of them not getting turned around a lot when they are in transit is very slim, but at least that way they would be the right way for the most part.
    Always store and ship eggs pointy end down. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by