1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to turn eggs?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken boy sam, Jun 21, 2010.

1. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Do you turn them from side to side or from top to bottom? Could you show me a video?

2. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    If they are laying on there sides in your bator then you just roll them over.
    Put a x on one side and an o on the other so you will no how to keep track of what you have turned.
    If you have them in a egg carton then just place something under the carton so you can tip it from side to side.
    Are you just joking?

3. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:No he's a kid. How old are you Chicken Boy Sam??

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Shouldn't be asking for ages. It's against BYC rules.

I would follow what jen5680 posted. As for the carton thing, I wouldn't use something to tip it from side to side, mainly because one side will be closer to the heating element and could damage the embryos. Instead, I would just do the side to side thing. Mark one side with an X, one side with an O. Rotate the eggs by flipping them either on the X or on the O each time you rotate the eggs. Works very well.

5. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    Thank you, and I was not joking, it's just such a "simple" thing for people that have already incubated, so they don't explain that much about it....

6. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:OOps sorry, didnt know. I was jsut asking because I've seen and replied to some other posts on the favs thread and realized he was young and thought it would be easier to explain some of the things he's asking if we knew his age/grade/maturity level etc., but neeeeevermiiiiind! Sorry again!

Chicken Boy Sam - Read the first post of this thread and follow the thread, lots of great info shared here!!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=362278

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  7. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    Yep, already read it and everything before you even posted!!!!! I find it very interesting how you can wing sex chicks.....

8. Florida

Florida Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    I came here looking for the same answer.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I was 12 when I got my first chickens. And I learned a lot of things the hard way.

10. Florida

Florida Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    I was 12 and helped take care of 2 large chicken house ffor my grandad. But he got his chicks already hatched. So now years later my broody decided she would really rather join the others in free range I quickly had to buy an incubator. New incubator with a turner, which doesn't turn and eggs that had to get into the plastic nest. So I turned the eggs, upside down. yikes. It was the first 2 days so hope I did not kill them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by