How to use Blue-Kote on Aster (attacked by a raccoon last night...)

hennypennysmom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Plymouth, Ma
So - thanks so much for the advice on the other thread I posted last night. Aster is still hanging in there, although she is just sitting, and is not interested in water or yogurt. I suppose that's because she's still in shock? I went out and bought antibiotics and Blue Kote from the Agway. The Blue-Kote is an aerosol can, and I'm a little nervous about using it - i'd be so close to her eyes. Can I spray this on a paper plate and "paint" it on her? Any advice? I think they only had the aerosol.....

I've never used this stuff before - her entire head is scabbed and bloody. I did put hydrogen peroxide on it last night. She's not moving around a lot and appears to have deep puncture wounds on the top of her head.
sad.png
The "chicken guy" at Agway said that because chickens have fast metabolisms, we'd know fairly soon (within 24hrs) whether she was going to make it or not. Jury is still out. I took some pictures, but they are pretty yucky, so don't think I should post them.

Poor Aster. I really think she fought off the raccoon. She's the toughest hen we have. My husband said the raccoon was missing an eye. Geez, this "circle of life" thing is hard to take sometimes.

Any advice about using the Blue-Kote and not damaging her (already I think) damaged eyes?

Thanks.

Kara

I would probably spray it on a clean rag or some gauze and dab it on her head. The peroxide was a good first aid, though. Another thing you could do now is put some antibiotic ointment on it. Just make sure there is not a "caine" drug like benzocaine or cetacaine in it.

OK...I sprayed it on a small plate (which I'm throwing away, obviously), and painted it on with a small paint brush. There are some deep puncture wounds - especially on the side of her head and top. Fingers crossed, but she's generally still looking like she's in shock. Not sure she can see, isn't drinking or eating (yogurt/water). We'll keep vigil and hope for the best. She is a good girl, and I think saved her friends. The girls are very quiet today. One of the Plymouth Rocks has a small wound on the side of her head.

Is there a reason we cannot eat the eggs for the next few days? Or maybe they won't even lay eggs for a bit? Poor girls!

I highly recommend using a 50-50 water/betadine mixture flushing the wounds. I do not recommend using Blu-Kote for puncture wounds. Use neosporin without pain reliever after flushing with the water/betadine mixture. Pack the punctures with the neosporin. Do not bandage and continue with the neosporin til she heals.
ETA: Eggs are safe to eat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom