How to use chicken poop as manure for plant fertiliser

Chicken manure has a lot of "green". Should be mixed 2-4 parts "brown" with 1 part "green". Mix well. If you turn it after it heats up, you should be good to use in 6 months. If you don't mix, let it sit for a year.

I use wood chips and cardboard for my browns. Leaves and such are also good.

You can compost it - which does take awhile to break down or make a manure tea that you can use much sooner.
I have only done the first one, not the second yet.

Like ChixMom, I have yet to try manure tea. "Well rotted" means broken down to kill any pathogens and allow time for it to become "cool" rather than "hot" in which it would burn your plants if you applied fresh out of the chicken's bum. I've been told that you want to let it compost/rot for at least 6 months and have even heard claims of a year being best. I prefer not to mess with it, I prefer rabbit droppings which are "cold" and can be applied straight and fresh. I make a manure tea with the rabbit droppings and water my plants with it, it really does work well.

Making compost in the coop is the best way to use chicken droppings (Good discussion on it here: https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/deep-litter.15579/) Otherwise layer it on your compost heap with plenty plant materials in-between. Chicken droppings tend to be VERY acidic, which in turn can make your compost too acidic, but I found it can be remedied quickly and easily by mixing the compost with wood ashes, which will neutralise it.

Sumi - I didn't get a walk in coop. The composted wood chips I pile in there dry out and get dusty. Call it bedding. When I rake this out, pile it up and wet it, things get hot quickly. I'm adding more composted wood chips, yard waste and cardboard.

If you have the luxury of a walk in coop, sounds great! My next attempt will be that. I've learned so much on BYC.

Last year's pile - I took off one of the sides and the chickens have sorted, shredded and tossed it all about. I rake up the big stuff, add it to #2 bin and take the finer stuff to the garden. Life is good.

Like ChixMom, I have yet to try manure tea. "Well rotted" means broken down to kill any pathogens and allow time for it to become "cool" rather than "hot" in which it would burn your plants if you applied fresh out of the chicken's bum. I've been told that you want to let it compost/rot for at least 6 months and have even heard claims of a year being best. I prefer not to mess with it, I prefer rabbit droppings which are "cold" and can be applied straight and fresh. I make a manure tea with the rabbit droppings and water my plants with it, it really does work well.

Ah ok, so I'll need to start burying it this year for use next spring then :( although since you mentioned rabbits I have 4 guinea pigs could I use their poop fresh?

During the summer, I mix the poop with grass clippings. Then let it cook for 6 months, During the winter, I dig trenches in the middle of the gardens and put the poop in there, then fill the trenches in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom