1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to use egg cartons during lockdown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PoultryGirly, Feb 24, 2013.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Hi, this is my first hatch and lockdown is in 3 days! I heard about using egg cartons during lockdown to prevent chicks from rolling the other pipping eggs around and was wondering if it works well and if I should try it. Is there a certain way you should cut them? Does anyone have pictures? If a chick is trying to get out of the shell and gets out but falls out of the carton, will it hurt it? Can you obviously tell this is my first hatch?!? Lol! Thanks!

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I keep my eggs in the turner during hatch. And mine never got hurt climbing out of the shell.

3. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    So should I use the cartons?

4. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Ive tried egg cartons i cut the bottom off but in the end its the same hatch ratio for me lol

5. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Do you have a picture of what the carton looks like when it's ready to go in the bator?

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I don't have a picture but just cut off the lid and then cut off the bottom of the rest of the egg carton so that air can circulate around the bottom as well as the top of the eggs. As far as the hatch goes I don't think it makes much difference either way but it does sometimes make it easier to see when they pip.
    Also when cutting the bottoms off I usually just cut the bottom 1/4 to 3/8 inch off, this will let air in but still support the eggs

7. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks! I probably will do that tonight even though lockdown isn't until Wednesday! I'm so eager! Just got the brooder almost ready!

8. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Okay, I'm gonna use the egg carton for lockdown! Lockdown is tonight and I'm so excited! It'll be hard for me not to open the bator, because I have candled every day throughout the hatch, but I know it's for the good of the babies!

9. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Keep us updated with lots o pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Okay, I will! The carton got wet on the bottom on two of the holder things, so I moved the eggs over on the dry part. When I was marking the air cells, m flashlight was a little wet on the tip and got the egg wet. I wiped the egg off, is it okay? Oh, and when I was looking in the eggs, I saw a tiny bit of movement in some eggs. It's so black in there! This is normal, right!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by