how to vent sex baby chicks

I don't know and I don't think you should because it can hurt the baby chick.
Wing sexing is easier and less disgusting.
On the tip of a baby chick's wing are 2 rows of feathers.
Just look at the two rows, if one row is longer than the other, it's probably a female.
If both rows are even, you have a male. I hope that helps.

Feather sexing only works on certain breeds. You have to have a long feathered mom and a short feathered dad to breed with to be able to feather sex or something like that! I was sad to find that out because I was trying to sex silkies, rir, and barred rocks!!!

Quote:
That's correct. Feather sexing only works on breeds bred to be feather sexed. Folks that can vent sex make good money at the hatcheries. It's an art and not easy to learn.
For the rest of us, it means having patience until your chicks are four to six weeks old and the secondary sex characteristics show up.

Vent sexing is pretty hard and takes practice. But what you do is you squeeze the chicks stomach very lightly so wol't hurt the chick but hard enough to make him or her poo. So after she or he poo's then in its vent there should be either a little pimple or nothing if there's a pimple its a cockerl and if there's nothing its a girl. But that's the hard part so if you dont do it properly it could hurt the chick or not make the sexual organs show up.

I don't think it is impossible to learn. I plan on trying it out on my Trader Joe chicks when they hatch. I've been reading up on it and gathering information and photos, etc but in the end I must get some RL practice!. Everything is basically on the internet except a real person that can sit down with you and show you. At least I'm hoping I can teach myself :rolleyes:

I'm here to tell you- it's very difficult! Especially in more exotic breeds and bantams. I am a veterinarian, read 'the book', watched videos, tried to get info on this forum, and have tried it on literally hundreds of chicks. Most of them look the same to me! I can't do it!

Yah, I won't know until I try?? I plan on banding their legs with my guesses and then seeing how I did once they grow older?? We'll see. I think I have a soft but firm hand for animals, so I really don't think I'll hurt them. They're not bantams, so I figure they'd be good to try it out on.

I find it very mysterous , did you know you can find more information on just about anything on the internet or in books then you can on vent sexing , I mean they talk aobut doing it and all but its pretty hard to get detailed information, You can find info on makeing bombs and other crazy horrible things easyer then vent sexing chickens lol I wonder if its really that hard and so few know how to do it or if its some sort of HUGE tightly held secret
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom